In conjunction
with the RCGP Annual Conference 2022

Sustainable Conference

Conference Sustainable Goals

  • Re-usable bottles for each participant
  • The event is paperless (only a pocket programme will be printed out)
  • Bags are from special materials (recycled, or eco-friendly)
  • ’The WONCA/RCGP Run’ to care about the delegates

 Venue Sustainability Features

  • ExCeL joined the UN Global Compact Programme in 2007
  • ExCeL is home to one of the largest commercial wormeries containing 300,000 worms recycling food waste
  • ExCeL has operated a zero waste-to-landfill policy since 2012, with 71% of waste recycled in 2021 and the remaining 29% used to create refuse-derived fuels
  • In 2019 water fountains were installed throughout the venue and no longer use single-use plastics or plastic straws. As a result, 200,000 fewer plastic bottles every year are used
  • 100% of the electricity comes from renewable sources and all gas is carbon offset using UN carbon credits
  • 2021, ExCeL saved 16,466,320 litres of water by using the venue’s waterless urinals (enough to fill 6 Olympic-size swimming pools)
  • 25% of the menus serve plant-based, vegan, or vegetarian options and 80% of the menus use British seasonal fruit & veg
  • A 'living wall’ along the promenade has 9,500 plants which remove air pollutants
  • More about the Sustainability of the ExCeL can be found here